Stormwater management is an integral part of maintaining a healthy and natural hydrologic cycle and a clean and pollution-free urban area. Apartment complexes, commercial buildings and residential dwellings are all in need of stormwater management. However, if your business or residence is in Sydney, determining whether or not you are in need of a stormwater management company is dependent upon the ownership of your property. In this article, we’ll discuss how to determine if you need a stormwater management company and break down the importance of stormwater management. First, let’s dive into why stormwater management even exists and why we need it.
In order to prevent erosions, contamination and host of other issues, stormwater which is surface water runoff from rainfall, needs to be properly managed and maintained. This is especially true in urban areas. Undeveloped areas have large spans of vegetation with impervious surfaces, allowing for rainfall to be transpired and evaporated. However, when nature is replaced with roads, buildings and artificial surfaces, surface rainfall can become problematic.
Here are some of the issues that can arise if stormwater is not properly managed.
- Soil erosion – In agricultural land, stormwater can erode the rich and valuable top layer of soil that farmers depend on for planting crops. This, in turn, produces an agricultural issue which can result in lowered supplies and increased cost of production.
- Stream erosion – Excess stormwater can cause streams to break their banks and flood nearby farms and communities. A second issue that can arise is the excess water can cause streams to change their shape, disrupting the natural habitat of plants and animals and thus, causing an issue with diversity later on.
- Urban flooding – Urban areas have developed over natural vegetation surfaces. These surfaces are permeable and allow for natural drainage and absorption of stormwater. However, pavements, buildings and roads have covered these up, creating the need for stormwater management. Without it, the water would have nowhere to go and would cause urban flooding.
- Poor water quality – Stormwater can absorb pesticides, grease, chemicals and other non-natural pollutants that can then be carried and drained into nearby streams. This polluted water then causes the poisoning and death of the animals and vegetation that use the stream as their natural habitat.
- Disturb the natural hydrologic cycle – The health of streams is key to maintaining a natural hydrologic cycle. Improper or the absence of stormwater management disrupts this because it reduces soil replenishment and groundwater recharge. The soil in streams is essential for sustaining vegetation and aquatic life.
Do I need stormwater management in Sydney?
The answer to this question is dependent on the location of your drain. If the drain is located on your residential or commercial property, then it is your responsibility. If it is located outside of your property, then it is the responsibility of the Sydney local councils.
Stormwater management on your property requires that you:
- Install and maintain stormwater piping, pits and culverts
- Manage all stormwater runoffs coming from your property, including possible pollutants
So, what do you look for in a stormwater management company?
Companies should have these basic requirements in order for you to consider them as your stormwater management company:
- Basic understanding of stormwater management, particularly in Sydney
- Proper equipment
Are you in search of a stormwater management company for your commercial or residential property? At Civil and Scape, our team goes beyond the requirements of a stormwater management company. We will ensure that you get the best possible service and guidance.
If you’re in search of a stormwater management company then you’ll be glad to know that we also provide management of stormwater and the installation of pipes, pits and culverts.
Civil and Scape does not only have expert knowledge of stormwater management in Sydney but they are also certified and hold the proper equipment to ensure that your property does not endure any effects from improper stormwater management.
If you’d also like landscaping and concrete work for any commercial or civil project, then our team of experts can guide you through the steps of making your dream come alive.
Work with our team today for a seamless experience and perfect execution. If you’re interested in seeing some of our work, browse through our gallery to view our past projects.